Posted to rec.woodworking
doug doug is offline

Default Spraying lacquer

Robert,

Thanks for your reply - should have known to provide more information in the
original post.

As you previously suggested when I inquired about finish recommendations for
red oak, used the shellac sanding sealer and rattle can semi-gloss solvent
based lacquer, brand is Watco.

The surface anomalies appear to be very small circular areas - likely very
small bubbles (?).

The surface is clean to the eye and touch before spraying and the work area,
while not a clean room, is free of loose particulates.

If I use lacquer thinner to wipe the surface of a solvent based lacquer -
will that tend to remove / soften the previous lacquer coat?

Have not previously sprayed lacquer wood finishes - although have done
airbrush painting of models with enamel and lacquer and painted a full size
motorcycle with catalyzed urethane.

From your comment regarding the use of mineral spirits, suspect there may
have been slight residual mineral spirits that caused the indications.

Surface appeared dry - however did not wait a min. half hour before
spraying - although at approx. 20% humidity the mineral spirits appeared to
dry quickly.

Regards,

Doug

wrote in message
On Jan 20, 12:27 am, "Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr."
wrote:

When spraying lacquer, is it recommended to maintain a wet edge - as one
would do with
paint - or is it OK to apply mist coats.

A mist coat is a misnomer. It is still a full coat, simply thinner
than others. If you don't believe it, mist some finish over your
dried lacquer and take a look at the texture.

Have applied two coats of lacquer and there appear to be a small number of
anomalies in
the surface.

OK... white spots, dog hair, orange peel, dog tracks, the face of
Charles Dickens?

Seriously, this is like saying, "I don't think my car is running
right. Can you fix it?"

Wiped the surface thoroughly with mineral spirits before spraying - temp
was approx. 75 F
and the humidity was low, approx. 20%.

Was it water based lacquer?

Was it solvent based lacquer?

First problem, mineral spirits. Unless you allow it to dry completely
(depends on conditions) you will get bad spots in your finish where it
will separate. You should clean your surfaces with naptha or better
yet, lacquer thinner. In any even, wait a half hour AFTER you are
SURE it is dry to apply your finish. This is the time you mix your
finish and set up your gun.

With no details, no one can help you. Did you spray from a rattle
can? Did you use high pressure? HVLP? A CAS gun?

Have you sprayed lacquer before?

There are a lot of finishing guys around here, but no one can help you
unless you take some time and properly and completely describe the
problems, what kind of finish you are using and your equipment.

Robert