Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default What is the difference between a woodruff and t-slot cutter?

.. .

"rodjava" wrote in message
I was planning a project which calls for a simple milled t-slot in
some mild steel.
I don't have the cutter yet. What is the difference in a Woodruff and
T-slot cutter?

Can a Woodruff cutter act as a T-slot cutter and vise versa?

Which cutter would have a dual purpose and be the most useful?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rod
San Francisco

You're likely to discover that a T slot cutter is side cutting, whereas a
Woodruff cutter is not. Both can function in the same capacity.
Woodruff cutters don't have the ability to cut on their sides, but they
are hollow ground for relief, and can be stepped over and plunged to
achieve slots of specific widths.

A Woodruff cutter demands that the spindle be at a right angle to the cut,
otherwise there can be loading that isn't desirable. A T slot cutter
will cut in most any attitude, although proper head alignment is
desirable.

I don't know that one is better than the other, although you may find one
has features that are more desirable for certain applications than the
other. Woodruff keys and keyways are expected to be held to a tight
tolerance, thus the lack of side cutting. T slots generally have a
greater tolerance, so if the cutter cuts slightly oversized, no big deal.
Let your need determine which would serve you best.

Harold

I've never had to cut "T" slots but the thought scares me. Is that
operation as hairy as it appears to be to me? Or, just another irrational
fear?