Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pbreed@netburner.com is offline

Default Casting question

I'm thinking about getting some parts made and I really don't know enough about the casting process to ask
intelegent questions.

I've seen companies that will take a 3D solid model
-do magic and turn these into a wax form for lost wax casting.

I have access to a 3D printer that does PVC.

Can you use PVC directly as the "Wax" in a lost wax system?

What kind of wax is used for lost wax ?
Can I cast my own wax in a PVC Mold to save some $$$?
Or will it melt/deform the PVC model?

If I have created wax "masters" where can I go to have some stainless castings
made?

what stainless materials are readily availible for casting?

On an object that is 14" high 7" in diameter and is basically a hollow tube
how thin can I make the walls?

Is the limit the structural strength of the wax or the accuracy of the casting process?

What would 3 or 4 protoypes cost me?
Assume a trumpet shaped tube 14" long and 7" max diameter, about 10 lbs of finished material.

Does the very act of asking these questions indicate I'm way out of my league and
should just send the 3D model out to have it quoted.

Paul