Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bob Swinney -- Phase converters

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:gl5kip$b33$1
@news.motzarella.org:

The "two phases" feeding the controls simply connect to your 240V

single
phase feed with appropriate voltage tap adjustments.

Nope. One AC supply runs off one 240V phase, a DC supply runs off a
second 240V phase, and the motor runs off all three.

The motor controls are nearly as simple. You locate the contactor

....snip
Nothing else in the maching needs
three phase power,

True, but I still have to rewire the main harness to get both internal
supplies on one phase.

No noisy and inneficient RPC, just a small, silent VFD to stick on

or in
the control cabinet.

Unfortunately, it's also about four to eight times the cost for that
VFD than what my RPC (locate OUTSIDE the shop, and thus "silent")
would cost.

Oddly... even the folks who sell retro-fit kits for the R2E4,
converting them entirely to new electronics, don't seem to want to
mess with the spindle motor. They sell VFDs. They recommend an RPC
for that machine. (?)

LLoyd