Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Adding another antenna to my existing antenna set-up

Hello. I have an antenna in my attic and 2
digital
converter boxes and I'm ready for the digital
switchover.
There are a couple other channels that I cannot
get with
my current antenna, and I'm considering building
an
antenna as shown in this video and pointing it
in another
direction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

My question is this....how do I add another
antenna to my
existing system? Is it as simple as just
running BOTH
antennas into a splitter? A splitter is
generally used
to split a signal into 2 signals, but can it
work the
other way (combining the signals from 2 antennas
into 1
signal which will go to my TVs)?

Thanks a lot!

Mike

Two problems with that, and a possible fix:

Problem is, you have two outputs fighting each
other; one is going to sink/source power to the
other. Could result in anything from a crummy
signal (weak) to no signal.

A splitter will cut the signal strength regardless
of how it's used, and especially as you mention.

Look for an amplifier/mixer with two inputs and a
single output if that's all the outputs you need.
Then you can get a few DB boost in the signals,
mix them properly, and get them to your TV. I
haven't noticed anything like that at RS but have
at specialty shops.

Twayne