Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Boxing in skylights

on 1/20/2009 8:58 AM (ET) Eric in North TX wrote the following:
On Jan 20, 6:42 am, willshak wrote:

on 1/20/2009 2:24 AM (ET) Aaron Fude wrote the following:

Hi,

This topic had come up before, but I keep getting conflicting advice
so I wanted to dedicate a thread to it.

When boxing in skylights, I being told that one does not want to use
drywall for the skylight window bay. The supposed reason: either the
hot air, or the humidity, or the intense sunlight will rot the drywall
over time and one ought to use plywood. In this newsgroup, I believe,
I only heard the opinion that this is either total nonsense or, at
best, obsolete old school idea.

So, if you do agree with plywood over drywall, please post your
opinion and your reasoning.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

There are probably millions of skylight bays covered in sheetrock.
Perhaps all the contractors have never consulted the person that told
you that .

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

There are millions of porch ceilings in the south done in drywall,
that doesn't make it right.
Any place moisture is a distinct possibility, dry wall is a poor
choice. That is done because it is cheap and the installers will be
long gone by the time trouble arises.

What is the difference between the construction of skylights and
ceilings with unheated attics above, or outside walls ?
Skylight bays should be insulated as well as those ceilings and outside
walls.