Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps Grumps is offline

Default Going round the bend...

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looked at a job for a local church on the way home. The 'committee'
were present.

A parishioner has given them a load of kitchen units only a few years
old and they want me to rip out the tatty old units in the hall & fit
the newish ones.

A plan was produced. Sink to remain where it was on the left end of
the wall, built in oven & hob on the right of it.

Obvious problem, the waste from the sink runs through the units &
along the length of the wall around 2' above the floor & enters a
soil pipe - due to various other fittings it couldn't be fitted lower
down. The oven goes right to the back of the unit.

I explained this & suggested we move the sink to the other end, next
to the soil pipe. No, they didn't want that, it would cause havoc
with the tea making.

One old boy came up with a 'solution'. Put several elbows in the
waste pipe, to take it down to floor level, under the unit, back up
the other side & reconnect to the waste - effectively forming a huge
'U' in the waste pipe.
I tried to explain that it wouldn't work, the huge 'U' would always
be full of water & the sink wouldn't empty properly.

He was adamant that it would work. I'm start to doubt my own sanity
here.
Surely it wouldn't work?

How is the waste arranged at present?

Could they get an oven that's not quite so deep? Then run the waste in the
normal way.

Or mount the sink higher up and run the waste above the worktop. That'd be
nice. You'd need a small step or two up, maybe a bible stand, and could give
short cermons there too, or even baptisms.