Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Can you believe it -- aluminum unavailable in NZL!

It is available from McMaster Carr in the US. 1100 alloy, .063 inch thick
48 inches by 48 inches for US $112.13 plus freight. P/N2471T45 I am not
sure what kind of hassles you might get with customs and shipping.

They also have other sizes, as an example if you can get by with a 12X12
inch size that might be easer to box and ship, that goes for US $9.11 each.
P/N 2471T41

http://www.mcmaster.com/

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"xjet" wrote in message
I just used up my last stock of 1.6mm thick annealed 1200 aluminum on
some spinning and went to re-order.

Guess what?

You can no longer buy anything but 5000 or 3000 grade aluminum sheet
in New Zealand!

I checked with all the limited number of aluminum suppliers here and
*nobody* can supply.

Talking with a couple of professional metal-spinners, they confirmed
the situation.

What a pain in the backside that is!

Neither 5000 series nor 3000 series sheet will spin (even when
regularly annealed) to anywhere near the degree that 1000 series does
so I'm stuck with looking at other options for making a new batch of
venturis. It's either cut and weld (which produces sharp contours and
is very time-consuming) or turn from solid which is also slow and
expensive.

What is the world coming to?