Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default help on building a small pole barn / small animal shelter

"coloradotrout" wrote in message
I need something for a few goats - two or three, and maybe a couple
llmas, etc. I'm thinking 8x8 or maybe 8x16, if I include a place to
keep food dry.

I have no experiene with this type of construction, but I do have some
woodworking experience and tools. I've just never built a shelter/
enclosure.

Is the pole (4x4) barn the way to go? I don't think I"m ready to
spend $s on a concrete footing, and perhaps in time we decide to move
this structure.

In 1991 I built my first structure of this type and it is still standing.

I built an 8x8 to minimize the number of cuts and maximize the space. You
should adjust the stringer size for your spans or add an intermediate post..
I dug 6 holes below the heave level for here (18") in the sloping ground,
one for each corner and 2 extras on the front to reduce the door size. Then
I mixed and poured ready mix into each hole to a depth of about 6" and
allowed it to dry. One bag did 2 holes as I recall it now.

I then placed PT treated 4x4x8 in the hole, plumbed, braced it and poured
ready-mix to grade level. Again about 1/2 bag per hole.

When cured I came back, stuck a level line and sawed all the posts off at
the top. I used 2x6 stringers at the top, middle and 12" off the ground to
complete the frame. Actually I think I used 2x6 at the top and 2x4 for the
middle and the bottom but I don't recall for sure.

OSB for siding and a roof were added. Primed and painted and still in use
today though I don't own it anymore. I built this over a blacktop driveway
as a storage building. I don't think the base of the walls will last as
long over mud.

--
Colbyt