Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Cutting an angle in a bore

On Jan 19, 2:11*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Simple question. *If you bored, say, a 1" diameter into a part mounted on
your lathe, and then wanted to do an accurate chamfer, how would you go
about measuring it. *Say you want to chamfer out at 10° and the resulting
slope is to extend 1/4" into the bore. *I know how to set up the tooling,
BUT, how do I precisely measure the 1/4" "daylight point".

Ivan Vegvary

You could make a male plug with the 10° chamfer on it, put it in the
bored hole and measure the protrusion, then stop cutting your chamfer
when the plug goes in 0.250" further.

Rough out the plug and part in to 0.9" or so on the left end before
setting the compound to 10° so you can taper the plug and chamfer the
hole without moving the compound.

JW