Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer[_2_] The Wanderer[_2_] is offline

Default Going round the bend...

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:27:36 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

One old boy came up with a 'solution'. Put several elbows in the waste
pipe, to take it down to floor level, under the unit, back up the other side
& reconnect to the waste - effectively forming a huge 'U' in the waste pipe.

I tried to explain that it wouldn't work, the huge 'U' would always be full
of water & the sink wouldn't empty properly.

He was adamant that it would work. I'm start to doubt my own sanity here.

Surely it wouldn't work?

Others have come up with varying comments about the arrangement. I had a
problem in my last house with what turned out to be a long unsupported
length of waste under the floor boards in an upstairs kitchen. It drained
washing machine and dishwasher, and becaue it had been installed without
any clips for a length of about 6-8 ft. It had been installed with a fall,
but eventually sagged just an inch or two, and the dip finally clogged up
with crud, which manifested itself when the w/m pumped out through the d/w!
New floor, new ceiling downstairs, plumbing corrected......[1]

Yes, tell then it can be done, instal with a couple of access points for
cleaning out, but strictly at their risk, and on the understanding that
they will be responsible for cleaning out the pipes. If they want you to do
it, tell them it will be a very unpleasant job, and your charges will
reflect that.

[1] why is it thst every house I've ever moved into has always had ****
poor plumbing......

--