Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Going round the bend...

Looked at a job for a local church on the way home. The 'committee' were
present.

A parishioner has given them a load of kitchen units only a few years old
and they want me to rip out the tatty old units in the hall & fit the newish
ones.

A plan was produced. Sink to remain where it was on the left end of the
wall, built in oven & hob on the right of it.

Obvious problem, the waste from the sink runs through the units & along the
length of the wall around 2' above the floor & enters a soil pipe - due to
various other fittings it couldn't be fitted lower down. The oven goes
right to the back of the unit.

I explained this & suggested we move the sink to the other end, next to the
soil pipe. No, they didn't want that, it would cause havoc with the tea
making.

One old boy came up with a 'solution'. Put several elbows in the waste
pipe, to take it down to floor level, under the unit, back up the other side
& reconnect to the waste - effectively forming a huge 'U' in the waste pipe.

I tried to explain that it wouldn't work, the huge 'U' would always be full
of water & the sink wouldn't empty properly.

He was adamant that it would work. I'm start to doubt my own sanity here.

Surely it wouldn't work?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk