Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim2009 Jim2009 is offline

Default Fuses in box get hot when using Kenmore Electric Dryer (only on heat cycle)

Are the contacts clean where the fuse screws in?
Shut off the power and use a pencil erasor on the contacts, both on
the box, and on the fuse itself. Be sure to look for burnt contacts
in the fuse box. I have seen that happen.

I will look closer at this.

Better yet, replace it with a breaker. You can buy small addon boxes
that will hold one double ro two single breakers. Just mount it on
the side of your main box.

At a later date, I'm planning on replacing the main fuse box with a larger
breaker box, so the two add-on boxes will go away.

What do you mean about a one time dryer fuse?

There is a one-time temp rated fuse in the exhaust, it's a fail safe for if
the dryer gets too hot and the therms don't cycle off.

Of course the fuses only get warm during the dryer heating cycle. On
cool air, your only running a motor. On heat cycle, you're sucking a
lot of power for the heating elements (like an electric space heater),
PLUS the motor.

Yes, I realize that, I was just indicating that the motor alone was not a
problem. So one might assume with caution, that the motor is not shorting
out and that the bearings/rollers are in working condition, of course an Amp
meter test would be better than an assumption.

Cheers,
Jim