Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default Word of mouth

"Robatoy" wrote in message
The reason cedar is so expensive, because we only have about a
bezillion acres of the stuff. With more land and wood per capita
than anywhere on this planet, why does it cost so much money

The knotty cedar I used was close to $2 a foot for the 2x6 eight foot stuff.
I briefly consider clear cedar with no knots until I learned that it was
three times the price. Didn't even bother to ask the price on redwood, much
less finding a local place that sold it. Either someone is making a gouging
profit on all our wood or there's dozens of outfits handling it, each adding
their mark-up before it hits the consumer store for little guys like me.