Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Electric dryer plug and outlet question

RBM wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message
I have one of those surface mounted 3 prong dryer plugs in the laundry
room. The plug that came with the dryer has to be turned 180 degrees
so it can plug into the outlet. Anotherwords instead of the cord
hanging straight down, it goes up then makes a sharp turn downward.
The outlet cannot be turned upside down because it is run with conduit
form the bottom. Any ideas how I can go about fixing this?

Surface range and dryer outlets are all made that way. The only remedy is to
replace the outlet with a deep 1900 box, flush dryer receptacle, and austin
cover. Then you can flip the outlet any direction you like

OK... maybe this is covered in basic electrician's courses, but this
always bugs me... *why* is a 1900 box called a 1900 box? I know what
one is, of course, but never had an explanation of why... "four inch
box" seems much more simple but nobody ever calls it that...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel