Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing a newel cap - help please!

wrote:
We've had our horrible old staircase revived - it used to be mahogany-
stained pine with the soldiers falling out. We've painted the
strings, replaced the string caps and soldiers and painted all that +
newels white, and replaced the handrails with oak. However, to
complete it I'd like to put in newel caps in oak to match the
handrails.

I've found these:

http://www.shawstairs.com/product_details_23.htm

but I can't work out how to fit them. They seem to have rather
large ... er ... lugs? on the bottom (it has a diameter of 38 on the
picture). How would I go about fixing this to the top of the newel
(which is flat, except for the slightly rounded edges)? I have a
drill but no 38mm bits!

I'd be tempted to cut them flush and use a jig to drill accurate dowel
holes in both parts and use dowels..

And then there's the half-cap - how would I fix this where the newel
butts up to the wall?

http://www.shawstairs.com/product_details_24.htm

ditto, except also drill the rear and put a screw into the wall, whack
body filler over it and attach the thing to the wall as well.

Making large holes in end grain is a job for a sort of brace and bit
thing really..or one of those paddle bits. But chances are you would
split it.

Otherwise mark out and drill many holes, and use a chisel to clean up.

Thanks

Edward