Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim2009 Jim2009 is offline

Default Fuses in box get hot when using Kenmore Electric Dryer (only on heat cycle)

Hello,

I have an older Kenmore Electric Dryer SER #M61901833 Mod #86671100
66711.

A few months back I checked the clothes mid-cycle and found the inside door
and the clothes to be very hot, hotter than I thought was normal.

This week I did 3 loads back to back, the room developed a stink like a dead
mouse! I traced the smell to two very hot 30A (screw in) fuses. The fuses
do not blow. The dryer has it's own box right off the main, and the dryer
is only a few feet from the box. No recent changes to anything.

When I run the dryer on a AIR (no heat) cycle the fuses do not get hot. I
can turn the drum OK by hand. When I run a Heat cycle on low/med/or high
the fuses start heading up after some time, maybe 5-7 mins not sure.

I checked the wire connections in Main, side box, outlet, pigtail, one-time
dryer fuse, cycling thermostat, and high-limit thermostat and all are tight
and clean. The high-limit thermostat (2-wires) is in the heater chamber
(tube), the cycling thermostat (4 wires) is near the exhuast vent.

Could the cycling thermostat be stuck closed? What about the high-limit
therm? Any way to bench test these parts to see if they open at all? I
am little concerned that the 30A (fast acting) fuses did not blow, nor did
the dryer's one-time fuse.

Any help/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for your time,
Jim