Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default FCC Coverage Maps - was Rate your DTV converter

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 1:54�am, Jimw wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 15:07:28 -0500, Ann wrote:
These maps show the both the individual stations' analog coverage areas
and new DTV coverage areas. �For example three fringe VHS stations I
now receive have cut their coverage areas (and changed the pattern) -
which explains why I don't/won't receive their UHF digital signal. �
"Map Book of All Full-Power Digital Television Stations Authorized by
the
FCC"
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/

Cutting the coverage area is clearly a result of FCC policy, and the only
way to gain back the coverage you had previously is to use a better antenna
than you had before, in many cases an outdoor antenna with a rotor.

I live in an urban area, but cannot receive the new DTV signals from most
channels without an outdoor antenna and rotor.

The FCC could have required higher transmitter power and better sites for
broadcasting antennas to prevent this problem but they chose not to.

Another thread I started recently on this newsgroup elaborated on the
reasons why.

That thread had unfortunately digressed into a discussion of the Gaza
war....

Smarty