Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill[_2_] Chris Hill[_2_] is offline

Default what to do if furnace conks out

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 08:41:01 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 18, 11:28?am, Chris Hill wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:35:45 -0800 (PST), wrote:
if you can't get a furnace to run and the outside temp is in the teens
or lower, what should you do? I'd guess the first thing is to shut off
the water main. Then do you have to open taps in the kitchen and
bathroom? Do you have to open every one a little?

Would all of that insure that pipes won't burst?

no. ?Low spots can occur. ?Best thing to do would be to call the
furnace guy and plug in enough electric heaters (each on its own
circuit) to keep the house warm. ?They cost under $20 a piece, not
like it is going to break the bank.

I have a propane torpedo heater with some spare full tanks for
emergencies. like 50,000 BTU. A buddy has frozen pipes at his home he
just called to borrow it

those 20 buck electric heaters with no other nheat in a zero
temperature are almost useless

Each will produce 6450btu. A few will keep the place warm enough for
the pipes. I prefer more comfort, so I have a 10,000 btu propane unit
and a 18,000 btu kerosene unit. Even if the electric goes off, we
will be warm.