Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Three-wire dryer outlet -- how can it be safe?

"Tman" wrote in message

LOL, OP here. I took a couple EE courses when working on my MS aerospace
engineering and did an internship where I designed one of the lightest
400Hz DC-AC inverter for aerospace use. I get the split phase, peak / RMS
business quite fine. I'm just not totally up to speed with what's code
and what's not -- and this rig seemed to be amiss.

I guess in the name of being pedantic, I'll point out that the two hots
probably are not exactly "180 degrees" out of phase and "mirror images" of
each other; close but in real life situations the reactive loads will not
be [perfectly] identical across both phases, making the out-of-phase, well
just a little bit different than pi radians

What you are calling two hots are comming from a center tapped transformer.
There is only one phase. They can not be out of phase with each other by
any ammount not counting a couple of inches of wire from the transfromer
windings to the load.