Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default TV service query ? ? ?

wrote:
Motels and prisons, school dorms and nursing home get bulk packages,
called free to guest or MDU. often a bare minimum of channels. the
upfront cost to the dealer for a receiver for each channel plus
modulators etc can be a killer.

theres money to be made by the satellite dealer, who gets nice
residuals.based on the monthly fee for the life of the customer.

I would hope they have a cards-in-a-rack gang receiver for such
applications, versus a stack fussy black boxes. That is what ****es me
off so much about my current setup- it could all easily fit in one box,
or even in a card cage built into the TV. I miss the stone-age analog
cable in the apartments I used to live in. No damn box, cable went from
wall to TV, no muss no fuss. They had their own head end, and a couple-3
big dishes, looked like 3 meter diameter or so. My current dish setup
has 200 channels, but once you exclude the
music/shopping/religion/sports channels, it has no more 'real' channels
than the analog system. And outside of the dozen or so I actually watch,
the rest are useless to me anyway.

--
aem sends...