Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Entire House Fills with Ice

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:26:25 -0800 (PST), TimR wrote:

On Jan 18, 3:07*pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I told my ex neighbor that since they
already had a central monitored burglar & fire alarm system they should
add a low temperature monitor to that system.

Is there an easy way to monitor your house via internet. If you're
traveling on vacation it still would be nice to know the heat is
working.

There must a way to do it, I'm not sure how you set up your house for
remote access though. But once you manage that, a web cam pointed at
a thermometer would at least let you check what the temperature is.

Why burden yourself having to check the web every day? Once you have a
central monitored system it is trivial to add a low temperature sensor. And
as soon as the set temperature is reached your phone gets a call.

I know they work. I put one in my lowest floor hallway. That is where my
tenant is. One very cold and windy night he did not fully close both doors.
They blew open and the temperature dropped. I got a phone call at 3 AM. As
I was a couple floors up, and it was warm in my bedroom, I didn't believe
them. But, of course, once I got downstairs it was obvious what happened.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).