Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Effect of coolant on finish quality.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:04:23 -0600, Ignoramus14219
wrote:

If you recall, I changed over my lathe chuck and obtained a great
improvement in lathe accuracy and finish quality. In both cases, I
made a shallow cut at a the slowest automatic feed settings.

Today I discovered something else: that if I do the same thing -- make
a shallow cut at the lowest feed setting -- but using coolant, the
finish improved beyond my wildest expectations, in fact, the turned
rod looks as if it was polished, with no visible imperfections.

Also, quite likely related, the chip made when using coolant, would
not break all the time, and instead it produced super long spiral
continuous chips.

I saved all three samples just for reference purposes.

Igy just reinvented the wheel.

Congratulations.

Now you need to use a surface finish gauge and try various coolants and
admixtures.

This should keep you entertained for many months

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.