Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Dovetail angles

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 17, 5:57 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
Here's my answer to a similar problem:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...55378162487314

I am afraid you lost me. How does the wrench fit into this?
OTOH it gives me an idea: Some sort of split nut on the leadscrew
rather than the stop on the ways?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Perhaps you lost me too. I read your post to mean that you had a male
dovetail shape standing proud from the mill and wanted to cut a female
dovetail slot to fit onto it. The tool I showed you has a difficult
internal hex shape split into two easily milled halves. Replace the
hex with the two halves of the dovetail.

If you change the brass locating pin to a screw that pushes on the
other piece, you could adjust the two screws to make the clamp bear
evenly on the dovetail sides even if it wasn't machined exactly. Slot
the large end of the female dovetail for a Woodruff key which will
float into alignment with the flat on the end of the male dovetail.

Wakarimaska?

Hai, wakaru to omoimasu.

Or you could make simpler, less rigid clamps that hold dial indicators
and mill to a reading rather than the somewhat uncertain increased
handle resistance when you hit the stop.

Right. I did not make the connection.
I am keeping the indicator idea as a plan B - I have a nice little magnetic
holder on order for just that purpose. Or even a combination of methods.
It's just that the dovetail angles threw me...

Still, it is refereshing to get a bunch of different answers with none of
them containing the phrase "You need a lathe!"

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC