Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default House Leveling

ransley wrote:
On Jan 18, 11:53 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
My son's two-story home has a cracked foundation with attendant
settling.

He noticed a crew working on a house a few doors down and had a chat
with the crew chief. The crew chief (named Guadeloupe) came and did
a quick survey of my son's home. The chief said the problem could be
fixed with 18 piers (each going down, in this soil, about twenty
feet) and that his experienced crew (Juan, Jesus, Allesandro, and
Moishe) could do the work over a two-day period.

For $3,000.

This is in dramatic contrast to the presumed cost of $15,000+ from
the kinds of firms one normally thinks of when contemplating house
leveling.

My son's rhetorical thought - and with which I agree - is "what
could go wrong?" Even if the leveling didn't "take" and a more
professional firm had to come and make "adjustments," the
heavy-lifting (pardon the bad metaphor) would have already been done.

I tend to think that house-leveling is similar to replacing a
breaker-box - not rocket surgery, but intimidating simply because it
is so unusual, and that common sense plus the right tools, in
experienced hands, are mostly what are essential.

Couple of other bits of knowledge: Guadeloupe is the brother of my
son's neighbor and Guadeloupe knows my son has a gun.

Any random thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

I leveled my house but did it maybe 1/8" at a time over days to move
it. I took a month to move it maybe 2" so walls glass did not crack.
Do doors, windows close now. Cheap is good, but he needs to learn
whats up so all goes well, even the 15000 guys may screw up.

Excellent advice. Thanks.