Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Entire House Fills with Ice

"dpb" wrote in message
On Jan 18, 5:00 am, Jimw wrote:
I find this hard to believe. This house was in foreclosure, the heat
was turned off, and a pipe broke filling the house with an estimated
100,000 gallons of water. The outdoor temperature was MINUS 40 deg. F
The entire first floor (if not more) of the house filled with ice,
which was coming out of windows, light fixtures, and through the
siding. Here are the links to the photos from the tv news channel.

Looks to me more likely than filled house full of water that it ran
down wall cavities and came out everywhere there was an opening. I'm
sure there's water inside but doesn't appear to be a solid ice block
on the inside of the windows nor would I expect it wouldn't have blown
out a wall somewhere w/ that much weight/lateral loading. New meaning
to "leak test", however...

Check the water meter records for the amount of water involved.

If the leak was at the right rate, the water could have frozen in layers, thus
never really having the pressure on the walls of the equivalent depth of water
(other than some effect from the expansion when freezing). The ice would be its
own structure after freezing.

If the house didn't have leaks before, it does now, that's for sure.

Should we talk mold problems?