Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimw Jimw is offline

Default CFL bulbs -- how bright for how long.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 08:38:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 18, 10:44?am, "Pete C." wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I have just bought some "Lights of America" brand 45-watt-equivalent LED
bulbs (power consumption only 3.5W) intended for use in accent lights: a
nice white light and no warm-up delay.

I picked up a pack of those LED lamps to fiddle with. Some notes:

- The light is not "nice white", it is notably bluish like most "white"
LEDs.

- The color temp is not consistent between lamps, particularly if they
have had different run times.

- LEDs produce less lumens per Watt than CFLs, so they are less
efficient. Being directional they can allow a lower Wattage to be used
for task lighting however.

- Those particular lamps don't go off when you turn them off, they
continue to produce very low level light for several minutes.

I did a comparison in a wall wash type application between those LED
lamps, a 14W CFL and a 50W encapsulated halogen and the CFL won for best
overall results. The LED lamps are still interesting to fiddle with.

lets see I have a CFL in my pole lamp controlled by a lamp sensor and
timer. its off from midnite to 6AM on any other time its dark enough,
occasionally tripsa on in mid day during a storm.

this CFL dies on average once a year, wierdly when I used incandescent
bulbs they died more often but were a lot cheaper.

but CFL failure doesnt appear to take out the light sensor they are
expensive.

so the CFL is affordable, by saving bucks on energy and lamp sensors.

bought a LED night light, way too blue, its nifty but not ready for
prime time

Yes, I know the white ones are a bluish tint. I got some of those
headlamps and flashlights.

One thing I always wonder, I noticed that most of the Christmas LEDs
have a colored shell. I know a LED can create red, for example,
because I have seen clear shells that are red, or green, or whatever.
But I wonder if these colored ones with colored shells are not just
white and the shell makes the color?

Yes, I have considered a timer rather than a sensor. I'd have to
change the settings regularly. Not that big of a deal, but at the
same time I know timer motors consume energy too, so it might not be
worth it.

Jim