Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default OT Plane Crash because of Birds

"Douglas Johnson" wrote in message
news
wrote:

He did an almost 180 turn over a highly populated area with a high
skyline and making that landing WITH power would not have been a walk
in the park. The fact he was able to keep it from flipping or breaking
up when the low-hung engines hit the water means he HAD to bring it in
nose high - without power - at something like 120 MPH (any lower would
have had it falling out of the air)

A power-off 180 to a landing is basic flight school stuff. A nose high,
wings
level attitude at touchdown is easy enough as well. The news reports are
making
far too much of the handling of the aircraft.

What I am really admiring is his decision making skills. Making the hard
choice of ditching in a very cold river vs. what had to be a big
temptation to
try a landing at Teterboro or LGA. That's where the issues of highly
populated
area and high skyline come in, not making the 180.

I am really looking forward to hearing the cockpit voice recorder. I
suspect we
are going to hear a pair of very cool cats.

-- Doug

I know this. I've seen films on a lot of "ditchings", which in my mind
means landing on water. When I think of it, I think of exactly what
happened here. One comes in and skids on the water, and comes to a stop.
The films look like KERSPLAT, and a cartwheel or a spin, or breaking up.

You say this type of landing is textbook and is learned by any pilot
student. Well, either they ain't paying attention, or reality doesn't go
like flight school.

Steve