Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Johnson[_2_] Douglas Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default OT Plane Crash because of Birds

wrote:

He did an almost 180 turn over a highly populated area with a high
skyline and making that landing WITH power would not have been a walk
in the park. The fact he was able to keep it from flipping or breaking
up when the low-hung engines hit the water means he HAD to bring it in
nose high - without power - at something like 120 MPH (any lower would
have had it falling out of the air)

A power-off 180 to a landing is basic flight school stuff. A nose high, wings
level attitude at touchdown is easy enough as well. The news reports are making
far too much of the handling of the aircraft.

What I am really admiring is his decision making skills. Making the hard
choice of ditching in a very cold river vs. what had to be a big temptation to
try a landing at Teterboro or LGA. That's where the issues of highly populated
area and high skyline come in, not making the 180.

I am really looking forward to hearing the cockpit voice recorder. I suspect we
are going to hear a pair of very cool cats.

-- Doug