Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Phipps[_2_] Tim Phipps[_2_] is offline

Default Amps and Heads ...

Arfa Daily wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was looking for a schematic for a PA amp, and called it a
"head" on here. I got told that it wasn't a head, because it had a preamp in
it, and a head has only line level inputs.

I think you may have got a little mixed up as this was the correction
you received from Graham at the time:
"It's not a 'head', it's a 19" rack mounting pro power amp with line level
inputs."
Nowhere in that does it say that a 'head' has only line level inputs,
rather it suggests the opposite.

Anyway, as I've always understood it, a head is an amplifier (guitar,
bass, whatever) that typically would sit on top of a speaker stack. If
someone was to mention a PA head I would think of something like my old
HH MA100 with 5 channels, high and lo-z inputs and all on 1/4inch jacks.
Maybe it's a pro-audio vs muso terminology thing but I would never
call a rack mounted power amp a 'head'.

BTW are you still after that C-Audio RA series schematic? I have a PDF
I can send you.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email