Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Word of mouth

"Upscale" wrote
Hey Swingman,

You know that picnic table I made based on your design? It's been sitting
in
the side yard of the friend I gave it to and two of her neighbours are
inquiring about me building them one too. Working about a dozen hours a
week
it took me about a month to build because I was experimenting along the
way.
With a set design in mind and knowing exactly how to go about building
more
of them, I can knock one off in a week.

I figure the first one cost me about $450 in material, but eliminating
original wastage, I should be able to cut that down to $400 or so. I was
wondering what I should charge total price including labour? Any ideas?

That's indeed a tough question! And, with that much time and materials
invested, I would first want to call it something other than a "picnic
table"!

Sorry, this is more of an art than something that can be easily quantified
with a formula, but, as a general rule of thumb for such projects, about 3
to 5 times material cost will generally put you in the ball park of what the
uninitiated consumer will actually expect to pay for a handcrafted piece.

Obviously someone more discerning, cognizant, and appreciative of the
craftsmanship and, hand wrought, unique nature of the piece would expect to
pay more.

In any event, by quoting on the high side of the above, or more, you will be
during yourself, and the friend you built it for, a favor. Simply put, if
you aren't desperate for the work, don't sell yourself short.

Let us know how it goes.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08