Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Painting MDF?

In article 13f46dc9-bf82-4f10-94b7-
, says...

1. Is MDF paintable? It ssems the moisture will screw it up. Is there
some priming method required?

2. I seem to recall a variant that has a paper coating. Is that
required?

3. What about edge prep if you are using the papered version.

4. I will have a scenario where I want to use butt joints. I want to
sort of puttey the end grain (or edge) and fill the gap of the butt
joint and sand it out smooth so it won't show once painted. Could I
just use like sheet rock taping compound or is there something better?

It takes paints fine. My paint guy recommended a water based primer
(contrary to my expectations) and I took his word for it. I have built
several cabinets for our kitchen from mdf, brushed with water-based
primer, sanded smooth, then oversprayed with several coats of enamel.
They have come out very nice indeed, including the edges.

One cabinet that is attached to a wall on one side and supported by a
pillar on the other side was brush-painted in place by my wife, and that
one does not really come up to what I'd consider acceptable standard,
but that may just be her (lack of) brushing technique. Or my
perfectionism. Anyway, I'll opt for spraying if it comes up again.

-P.