Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Primer under Tile??

It will all depend on how thorough you want to be in redoing that bathroom.
With plaster walls, much will depend on whether there is a shower in the
bathtub. If there is, it is amazing that it held out so far. You really
should install a water proof membrane such as the Schluter system or
equivalent. Then you should follow their directions. If there is not a
shower, then follow the directions on the adhesive or thin set mortar that
you plan on using. I am going for a "yes" on an oil base primer before
installation, with plenty of time for the primer to dry.

"dicko" wrote in message

I'm redoing the bathroom which had 4 inch tile around the bathtub. I
managed to get them all off without seriously damaging the walls,
which are plaster. All the walls have had the paint removed down to
bare plaster.

My question is: do I prime the walls under the new tiles or do I leave
the wall bare where the new tile will go. Googling around didnt
really turn up anything definitive on the subject. The answers seemed
to fall in three categories

1. Yes
2. No
3. What does the tile manufacturer say?

I havent bought the new tile yet so I cant ask the manufacturer so I'm
asking here.

-dickm