Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Johnson[_2_] Douglas Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default OT Plane Crash because of Birds

wrote:

What needs to be remembered is when the birds hit the fans the nose
was still UP - he was still climbing. Loose power in that
configuration and forward speed decreases VERY quichly and the pilot
needs to trade altitude for speed IMMEDIATELY to avoid stalling the
plane..

Which he would have done without thinking. I doubt the airspeed went down at
all.

Once he has adequate flying speed he sure does not have much
altitude left - and to get that plane out over the river instead of
over Manhattan before loosing too much altitude

That is making a lot of assumptions about altitude and position that I don't
have the data on. Do you?

while still being
above minmum control speed on an A300 series plane takes some doing.

With both engines out, he does not have to maintain minimum control speed. That
is the speed needed to maintain directional control with one engine out and the
other at full thrust. Look up "Vmc".

This plane is not a Cessna - it is a flying computer - all
"fly-by-wire".

I've never flown an Airbus, but I've flown a lot of Cessnas. I've also talked
to a lot of people who have flown both. They say the Cessnas are much harder.

It is a good indication of the expertise of the pilot in command that
he got it down in an "open space - in one piece - and even MORE that
there was no loss of life, and very few injuries.

Oh, yeah. He did a good job.

-- Doug