Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimw Jimw is offline

Default battery leakage

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:48:08 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

I left batteries in a radio and just found that some tan crusty stuff
accumulated is on one of the negative contacts. I guess that battery leaked
and dried. It seems I can scrape it off with some difficulty.

If I go to the trouble of scraping it all off, will it work or have I ruined
the radio?

Thanks
bonnie

That depends if it got into the circuits, or just on the battery
contacts. If it's just the contacts, you should be safe, although
they can corrode away. Radio shack has battery holders so you can
replace that part. Besides scraping off the crud, use Q-tips and some
rubbing alcohol to clean them well. Rubbing alcohol contains water,
so let the thing dry well before you use it. If the contacts are
corroded, use a wire brush on them to expose bare metal.