Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Plane Crash because of Birds

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 23:24:09 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Tman" wrote in message

A transport multi-turbojet glides quite well with no power. I'm not
familiar with the A320, but am with the B737, which has a glide ratio
pushing 20:1. That's when cleaned up -- no flaps, no gear.

Jet engines are not held in place with a single shear pin.

I'd attribute the successful outcome of this in order of:

- a darn good configuration of luck -- this was the right place at the
right time and the right conditions to make a happy ditching like this
occur. I guess it had a bit of bad luck -- would've been a better outcome
to set it down on a piece of asphalt with numbers on both ends, but that
being out of the possibility, it was fine that the water was smooth, the
hidden wires were not there, and massive rescue capacity was seconds away.

- secondly, and I think this is where the flight crew should really get
the kudos -- was the decisive decision making at the right time. Deciding
to ditch in the Hudson is by no means an easy barrier to cross -- but when
the other options aren't there, one needs to make the hard choice and
stick to it.

- and oh yeah, flying skill. Honestly, and I'm sure I'll be debated, but
a gentle ditching given all the other factors above, I'd really expect
from a competent pilot.

Good points. We often forget about the shuttle not being powered.

Glide ratio for anyone not familiar, is how far forward the plane will go
for every foot down. 20:1 means that a plane at 3000 feet altitude can go
60,000 feet or about 11 miles. A glider can be about 50:1 or 60:1, but they
don't carry 150 passengers. A Cessna 150 is only about 7:1, the shuttle
4.5:1

As for the crew, the Captain certainly did a great job and was cool about
it, but the rest of the crew, cockpit and cabin, are to be commended for
what they did for preparation and evacuation.

As for the Azores Glider:

"Without engine power, control of the aircraft depended on the last
backup, a ram air turbine, which supplied limited power to hydraulic
and electrical systems. While Piché flew the plane, DeJager monitored
its descent rate €” around 2000 feet (600 metres) per minute €” and
calculated that the plane had about 15 to 20 minutes left before they
had to ditch the plane in the water.

The crew flew the plane a few more minutes, until sighting the air
base. Piché then had to execute a series of 360 degree turns to lose
altitude. Although they successfully lined up with Runway 33, they
faced a new danger. The plane was on a final descent, going faster
than normal. Although they had unlocked the slats and deployed the
landing gear, the airspeed was 200 knots, compared to the preferable
130-140 knots.

At 06:45 UTC, or 02:45 EST, after 19 minutes without engine power, the
plane touched down hard 1,030 feet down Runway 33 with about 200 knots
(370 km/h). The aircraft bounced back into the air but touched down
again 2,800 feet from the approach end of the runway and came to a
stop 7,600 feet from the approach end of the 10,000 foot runway. With
the operation of the emergency brakes, several tires burst. Fourteen
passengers and two crew members suffered minor injuries during the
evacuation of the aircraft. Two passengers suffered serious, but not
life-threatening injuries.
"

At 32000 feet altitude and an airspeed of 330 knots he had something
like 150 miles of "stretch", for a glide ratio of some 25:1.
This was a A330 with twice the capacity of the A320-200 (306 people on
board) and 361 sq M of wing, compared to the A32 with 122 SqM of
wing., so LIKELY a lighter wing loading.

Note they did several 360 turns to lose enough altitude to land on the
island. and STILL landed significantly "hot".