Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Painting MDF?

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

1. Is MDF paintable? It ssems the moisture will screw it up. Is there
some priming method required?

I like BIN pigmented shellac as a primer. After that, it's perfectly
paintable.

2. I seem to recall a variant that has a paper coating. Is that
required?

Can't help there.

3. What about edge prep if you are using the papered version.

I've used Bondo and drywall compound with great results, followed by BIN.

4. I will have a scenario where I want to use butt joints. I want to
sort of puttey the end grain (or edge) and fill the gap of the butt
joint and sand it out smooth so it won't show once painted. Could I
just use like sheet rock taping compound or is there something better?

See #3

Barry