Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Dovetail angles

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:19:56 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 23:26:27 -0500, Ned Simmons wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:09:53 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

I was going to make some stops for the mill table. I thought it would be
simple to mill a slot in an appropriate size metal and mill female
dovetails, set-screws and Bob's your uncle. Might even throw in a brass gib.
However, when I measured the male dovetail angles they are 55 degrees.

I'd mill the angle on a separate piece and screw and pin it to the
body of the clamp. That way you can make any angle you like by tipping
the piece in the mill vise.

Simpler still, clamp the stop-to-be at 5 degrees to the horizontal and mill
the 55degree dovetail directly with the 60 degree cutter :-)

That'll work (with a 45 degree cutter), but won't clean the surface
under the overhang without a second setup -- not a big deal. The other
possibility is to use a regular endmill and live with an undercut
perpendicular to the 55 degree wall.

I hope Michael understands our ramblings.

--
Ned Simmons