Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Painting MDF?

I thought the only appropriate finish for Cherry was semi gloss latex
paint. Maybe I'm confused.

I am covering an existing brick fireplace and mantle so I am a bit
constrained. I also have a home that is not so upscale so I want to
bring in some class but not so high end that it is over done. I am
using some classic influences and holding the stacked molding down to
a minimum. I am using an MDF backfield to be CNC'd by my buddy to
match the shape of an archway I am constructing betewwn the living
room and kitchen to tie the things together. Here is a link to my
current design.

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images/fireplace.jpg

On Jan 17, 5:23*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Surely you must have some sense of humor. *Have a coffee and re-read. *You
may also want to dig up some old posts about finishing cherry.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Not sure I follow. Was this some kind of jab at my work?

On Jan 16, 8:37 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
1. Is MDF paintable? It ssems the moisture will screw it up. Is there
some priming method required?

Yes, but why would you want to? At worst, three coats of clear poly. Best
would be a shellac and French polish. If you are going to take the time to
make a nice project, don't cover up and hide the material. I use 8d common
nails too and the contrast with the heads is a beauty to behold.

Given your sense of aesthetics, I don't think we will ever see you doing
one
of the Designer shows on cable TV.- Hide quoted text -