Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Dovetail angles

On Jan 16, 9:09*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I was going to make some stops for the mill table. I thought it would be
simple to mill a slot in an appropriate size metal and mill female
dovetails, set-screws and Bob's your uncle. Might even throw in a brass gib.
However, when I measured the male dovetail angles they are 55 degrees. To my
knowledge there are only 60 and 45 degree cutters commonly available. So the
questions a

1) Is this usual?
2) Would you mill a 60 degree female dovetail and accept the disparity
(after all it is only a piece of iron to stop the table going any further -
nothing magical about it)?
3) Would you seek a wise Sifu in the Sinkiang province for only he knows the
ways of 55 degree dovetail cutters?
4) "Sod it, I am going to make do without stops!"
5) Devise different stops altogether (magnets, adjustable bars like on taig
lathe, etc.)?

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Sifu's grandchildren makes these things:
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...e=SiteChampion

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Set_WT_Import_
Or search for "angle block set".

I like the 30mm thick blocks because they make a more stable stack
than the thin ones. Tthe 55 degree stack (30+15+10) on the table in
front of me is 2-1/4" high at the lowest corner of the work, too high
for my milling vise. I'd clamp the pile to an angle plate and use it
to make a low 55 degree plate I could use in the vise.

Here's my answer to a similar problem:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...55378162487314

Jim Wilkins