Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Dovetail angles

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:09:53 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

I was going to make some stops for the mill table. I thought it would be
simple to mill a slot in an appropriate size metal and mill female
dovetails, set-screws and Bob's your uncle. Might even throw in a brass gib.
However, when I measured the male dovetail angles they are 55 degrees. To my
knowledge there are only 60 and 45 degree cutters commonly available. So the
questions a

1) Is this usual?
2) Would you mill a 60 degree female dovetail and accept the disparity
(after all it is only a piece of iron to stop the table going any further -
nothing magical about it)?
3) Would you seek a wise Sifu in the Sinkiang province for only he knows the
ways of 55 degree dovetail cutters?
4) "Sod it, I am going to make do without stops!"
5) Devise different stops altogether (magnets, adjustable bars like on taig
lathe, etc.)?

Thanks,

6) Use your shaper, set the tool angle to 55. Easy.

Pete Keillor