Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Three-wire dryer outlet -- how can it be safe?

On Jan 16, 3:57*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Oddly enough, the third wire is not a neutral for the main
220 volt heater element. Since the current flows through the
black wires, or black and red. But doesn't need a neutral.

The only time the third wire behaves as a neutral, if there
is a 110 volt timer.

It's a bit strange, but seems to have worked for all these
years.

The motors are generally 120 volt as well

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tman" wrote in message
Took a look at the schematic today for the dryer (240v).
I've always
wondered how they serve up 240 V with 120V components (e.g.
timer motor)
on only three wires.

You see, I always thought that the grounded conductor should
never be
current-carrying, in the theory that if the ground feed
should break,
then the metal chassis of the appliance does not get
energized.

Well looks like that "3rd" wire, is a neutral, and judging
by the dryer
schematic, is both used as a chassis ground and a
current-carrying
conductor for the 120V items on the dryer -- such as timer
and drum motor.

OK -- am I totally wrong about the code and theory, or is
this unsafe?
Seems to me that dryer would get real "hot" should their be
a fault in
the neutral conductor to the breaker box.

I know I'm missing something here as this is SOP as far as I
am aware.
Someone please inform me?
T- Hide quoted text -

Yeah. It took me some time to figure out how a shop was getting 240
on only two wires. Used to be common wiring back when.

Harry K