Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Plane Crash because of Birds

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 05:40:40 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Jimw" wrote in message
.. .
Off Topic, but hardware related.

It's been all over the news about the plane that crashed into a river
in (I think) New York. They said it was caused by birds flying into
the engine. Then they showed a report of the number of bird caused
plane accidents and deaths each year. From 1990 to 2007 there were
almost 80,000 accidents caused by birds. There have been numerous
deaths and millions of dollars of damages.

OK, looking at the engines they showed on tv, I immediately thought
***Why dont they put some sort of screening over the engine***
It would only seem like a couple hundred dollars worth of hardware
cloth would solve the problem. Why dont they think of simple
solutions like this?

Jim

It doesn't work. When you get metal thick enough and hefty enough to
withstand that mph of wind, it restricts air intake. And then, a full sized
Canadian honker, which I believe these were, could go right through there at
that speed anyway.

I'm sure that they've studied it to death. They have studied much lesser
problems and spent much more on them.

As an aside, propane cannons were being used to scare birds in airports and
berry farms until the tree huggers (and nearby residents) stopped it.

To some poor deluded individuals, geese are more important than humans. And
in many sad cases, they are.

Steve

Up here in Ontario we call them honkers "flying dogs" and a large
number are no longer migratory - they stick around all winter.
Time to open a hunting season on them again to get the numbers in
line.