Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Update on welding with implanted defibrillator

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:14:49 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Perhaps the young doc hasn't yet encountered a patient who has
expertise in a related field and doesn't yet know how to deal with
that. It's not uncommon among highly-educated young chargers.

Excellent insight, Don. Gonna show him your DonRube device?

I doubt if he'd care, but the guys at Boston Scientific have expressed
interest. I sent them an update report with photos tonight. If you'd
like to see it, lemme know.

A conversation with a decades-experienced "device nurse" was
enlightening.

She said that the doc would not adjust parameters in an attempt to
optimize compatibility with welding, he would adjust them to optimize
performance for the medical purpose required and intended.

But he should, as you'll be welding after the operation. He needs to
adjust the device to protect you as much as possible, and that means
to -your- lifestyle, not his optimum view.

His view is that he will adjust the device to protect me as much as
possible. Ya can't optimize everything. Optimization is almost always
a "best compromise". In order to do it, one must prioritize the set
of outcomes, taking into account their probabilities and cost or
benefit.

I can easily understand how a concientious Dr. would balk at
compromising medical optimality for a rather ill-defined need or
desire. I can't fault him for that. How much does he tweak this
parameter or that to achieve what gain in meeting the new goal? If I
were he I'd take the same course he's taking.

Lifestyle adjustments do sometimes result in more quality life, which
has some appeal for me. I don't want to live life past the point of
enjoying it, but life is still quite enjoyable. I hadda quit smoking,
I'm now walking 3 brisk miles every (goddamned) day, etc.

I'll be MIG and/or TIG welding after the procedure only if I'm
reasonably confident that I won't get whacked on me arse by doing it.
I'll still be gas welding and brazing in any case.