Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Dovetail angles

Michael Koblic wrote:
I was going to make some stops for the mill table. I thought it would
be simple to mill a slot in an appropriate size metal and mill female
dovetails, set-screws and Bob's your uncle. Might even throw in a
brass gib. However, when I measured the male dovetail angles they are
55 degrees. To my knowledge there are only 60 and 45 degree cutters
commonly available. So the questions a

1) Is this usual?
2) Would you mill a 60 degree female dovetail and accept the disparity
(after all it is only a piece of iron to stop the table going any
further - nothing magical about it)?
3) Would you seek a wise Sifu in the Sinkiang province for only he
knows the ways of 55 degree dovetail cutters?
4) "Sod it, I am going to make do without stops!"
5) Devise different stops altogether (magnets, adjustable bars like
on taig lathe, etc.)?

Thanks,

Tapered gibs .
--