Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Dovetail angles

I was going to make some stops for the mill table. I thought it would be
simple to mill a slot in an appropriate size metal and mill female
dovetails, set-screws and Bob's your uncle. Might even throw in a brass gib.
However, when I measured the male dovetail angles they are 55 degrees. To my
knowledge there are only 60 and 45 degree cutters commonly available. So the
questions a

1) Is this usual?
2) Would you mill a 60 degree female dovetail and accept the disparity
(after all it is only a piece of iron to stop the table going any further -
nothing magical about it)?
3) Would you seek a wise Sifu in the Sinkiang province for only he knows the
ways of 55 degree dovetail cutters?
4) "Sod it, I am going to make do without stops!"
5) Devise different stops altogether (magnets, adjustable bars like on taig
lathe, etc.)?

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic,