Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Followup on the bad three jaw chuck

Ignoramus18994 wrote:

I tried to find an inexpensive three jaw chuck for L-0 mount to
replace my bad three jaw chuck. Finally found these two ebay items:

300285582565 - Bison 3 jaw L0 mount 8 inch -- $50
300285584382 - Bison 3 jaw L0 mount 10 inch -- $127

I may end up keeping just one of them.

I cruised enco for the above. Condidering the discount from new, I doubt you are going to
get a bargain. Pry that wallet open and get a small chuck for stuff over 5C collet sizes
and use the 4 jaw for the rest.

I'm not going to ask you how many items you have turned so far but if if has been seldom,
then keep your eye out for a deal and use the 4 jaw. I have a 6" L00 that I have not
mounted since the 4 jaw was attached and I yet to feel that the time saved by a centering
chuck beat the time and effort to remove the four jaw.

Neither one of us are running production. Keep the 3 jaw in the nice to have column and
if you get a deal, gloat. Until then, just use the 4 jaw, and get a collet setup for the
small stuff.

Wes