Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Your rights

Andy Champ wrote:
Huge wrote:
But, from March, ISPs will need to keep a log of your emails (to,
from[1] and dates, but not content.

They already do. Anybody who runs a mail server will have logs showing
what was sent where. Here's mine;

What's new is the ISPs will have to keep it for the guv'mint. I forget
how long for.

To be honest even when I was running an ISP, a few years ago, we did
keep them for about a year.

Simply because customers would phone up and want to know if e-mail XXX
was actually sent to firm YYY who denied all knowledge of it etc etc.

Now we wouldn't normally have released them to anyone without the
senders permission, but if a government agency HAD asked with a court
order, we would have.

Andy