Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Price Of Lightbulbs

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
dennis@home wrote:

Which you don't need when its digital all the way.
After all MPEG doesn't have the concept of PAL or NTSC.
Come to think of it I don't think SDI does either.

MPEG has some concept of video standard in that it will be encoded for a
particular resolution and frame rate to match PAL or NTSC standards as
used in the target country.

Only because they have to cater for cr@p CRTs.

I think you will find that there are standardised resolutions and frame
rates used regardless of the display technology - not only CRT (crap or
otherwise).

Yes but they are based on old CRT tubes as LCD and plasma do not have the
same restrictions.

However, the option of "digital all the way" does not exist yet -

I have it, it must exist.
My own video camera to DVD to TV is entirely digital (even the light is
digital, photons being digital).

That is not a broadcast, or in a format that remains backward compatible
with analogue PAL reception equipment however. A requirement that applies
to all terrestrial TV output carried simultaneously on analogue and
digital platforms at this time.

Of course it is backwards compatible with PAL, the camera even has a PAL
output.
It may throw away most of the detail and add loads PAL artifacts but if
that's what people want..

at least until analogue transmissions cease. Even then there will be
countless RF based distribution systems already installed for where this
consideration will need to be taken account of.

As I said before, dinosaurs.

Not quite sure why you feel the need to call people with a greater
breadth of experience than yourself dinosaurs.

Well you are behaving like one.

How?

My contribution to this (display technology related) sub thread has so far
has been to provide an explanation of why colour gamut varies between
different display technologies and print output, and to highlight that the
colour gamut of a broadcast via PAL is a subset of the typically used RGB
colourspace in the digital domain.

I fail to see how that makes me a dinosaur. Was it perhaps that I did not
jump to support your assertion that CRTs are inferior to LCDs?

No, your vain attempt to say they are better because some people insist on
using them to setup cameras.
Probably just because this is how they have always done it.

I wonder if you will be extinct when there are *no* PAL broadcasts
after analogue is turned off?

Me? Let's hope not, but who knows.

How old are you Dennis, out of interest?

Why does that matter? 21 base 26 as it happens, I will be 20 next year.

So your base is increasing with age then? Alas it happens to many of us.

I hope the wii fit will help.