Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Three-wire dryer outlet -- how can it be safe?

On Jan 16, 7:05*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Tman" wrote in message

Took a look at the schematic today for the dryer (240v). *I've always
wondered how they serve up 240 V with 120V components (e.g. timer motor)
on only three wires.

You see, I always thought that the grounded conductor should never be
current-carrying, in the theory that if the ground feed should break, then
the metal chassis of the appliance does not get energized.

Well looks like that "3rd" wire, is a neutral, and judging by the dryer
schematic, is both used as a chassis ground and a current-carrying
conductor for the 120V items on the dryer -- such as timer and drum motor.

OK -- am I totally wrong about the code and theory, or is this unsafe?
Seems to me that dryer would get real "hot" should their be a fault in the
neutral conductor to the breaker box.

I know I'm missing something here as this is SOP as far as I am aware.
Someone please inform me?

It was acceptable *when installed as others have described, it's no longer
acceptable in NEW installations, but since there aren't piles of
electrocuted housewives across the country, existing installations are still
acceptable- Hide quoted text -

"since there aren't piles of electrocuted _housewives_ across the
country"

A rather sexist comment right there...unless you are implying that
women are more sucsebtible to electrocution than men.